Start anytime at your own pace|
Online - 7 Module Program
Free Self-Paced Parent Training Course for Alaskan Families
Are you an Alaskan parent of a child or adolescent with anorexia nervosa or restrictive eating issues? If so, this course is for you. AKEDA is offering a free, 7-module, virtual parent training course.
Time & Location
Start anytime at your own pace
Online - 7 Module Program
About the event
The grant funding provided for this program is limited to Alaskan families.
Alaskan parents of children and adolescents ages 11-17 with anorexia nervosa or disordered restrictive eating are invited to join a free, virtual parent training course.
Those Alaskans who sign up will have access to weekly virtual, self-paced videos aimed at providing skills to support their child's return to normalized eating.
The course is available to families completely free of cost!
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
The program is based on the principles of Family-Based Treatment (FBT) and an understanding of the unique neurobiology of anorexia nervosa. It is designed to help parents better understand the eating disorder and learn skills and strategies for helping their children recover.
- 7 modules of course content: getting started, meal coaching, understanding the eating disorder from the inside out, improving communication, understanding and responding to symptoms and behaviors, managing temperament traits, and next steps.
- Content delivered through 40 brief videos featuring clinicians, researchers, and experts by lived experience.
- Accompanying hand-outs and worksheets to apply course material at home.
- An easy to use, self-guided online course platform.
- Opportunities for weekly virtual discussions with other Alaskan families participating in the program.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
If you are an Alaskan residing in the state of Alaska and meet any of the following, you are eligible to sign up:
- Families with a child with a diagnosis of anorexia, atypical anorexia, or anorexia binge/purge subtype – regardless of whether the child is receiving any type of treatment.
- Families with a child who is exhibiting concerning restrictive eating behaviors – whether or not they have a formal diagnosis or meet diagnostic criteria.
- Families with a child currently or recently in an eating disorders treatment center who desire more skills to support their child at home.
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM TIMELINE?
You can start the course anytime and the videos are self-paced. Each module includes 30-40 minutes of videos, provided in short 5-10 minute clips on different topics. Alaskan parents who have enrolled in the course will be invited join a discussion group on application of the materials and to receive support from others.
INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT MORE?
Sign up now (under RSVP above) to get more information. Please note: within several days after signing up, you will receive an email from Dr. Terra Towne at UCSD that you must respond to in order to access the course. If you don't receive the email after registering, contact email@example.com
This is a free course and there is no fee to participate. If you would like to support the programs and services of the Alaska Eating Disorders Alliance, all donations are gratefully accepted and can be made online at https://donorbox.org/akeda-matching-gift-campaign. Thank you!